Sunday, May 10, 2009

A New Perspective on the Simpsons Part I




The Simpsons Part I: Satire

I have never really cared for the Simpsons. Before, I usually watched it when I had nothing else better to watch. . It did not help that the adults surrounding me continuously slammed the cartoon and its deemed "inappropriate and stupid" content. However, these same adults also had absolutely no problem watching Seinfeld, which to some extent is no better than the Simpsons.

OK, one thing some people need to understand is that The Simpsons, first and foremost, is satire.


*Satire

sat⋅ire [sat-ahyuhr]

-noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

Satire is designed to make fun of anything and everything. In the Simpsons's case, American family life and the stereotypes people make about others in small-town America. This includes looking at the stereotypes that the American family life holds, stereotypes of immigrants, and even stereotypes about movies and religion.
From watching the episodes I have, I think the Simpsons are funny! The satire is very well done in a way that portrays the message the episode wants to get across with the humor that comes with that genre. Man, the people who make them clearly know how to make fun of stuff with tact. A lot of cartoons a part of this genre do not.

Family Guy

Family Guy, is similar to the Simpsons. Both shows use satire in order to spread a message about family life, political issues, and religious issues. However I found it blatantly insulting when it made fun of certain issues. For example, both shows make fun of the stereotypical Christian family. What Family Guy does is completely denounce and dismiss the Christian faith altogether without a thought of respect to the people who follow it. I should know, because I have watched some episodes of it. So...Yeah, that show has definitely not earned my respect or fanatasism!
The Simpsons, however, makes fun of the stereotypical Christian family and people who choose to hold to it. However, there is a "but" to it. I heard of a book that did come out that revealed lines from the Simpsons that were God-honoring lines.

I remember one episode where Bart Simpson (see left picture) needs to get a certain mark on a test in order to avoid a failing grade. Now he failed to study up until the night before the test. He asked God to make it snow in order for their to be a snow day and he would have an extra day to study. God apparently answers Bart's prayer.



Now when Bart heard that school was out, his automatic impulse was to run out and play with all the other people. Lisa, however, heard Bart's prayer the previous night and confronted Bart. God had abolutely no reason to send a snow storm and it would have served Bart right if it hadn't of happened. But, God. Did it. Anyway.


Looking back on that episode, I think I saw a hint of God's grace coming out in that episode. Lisa also continues her speal by saying that Bart OWED God for it. Now, we can never pay God back for His grace and grace, by definition, is supposed to be free. However, that does not mean we can use it to do whatever we want. Bart had a choice: to abuse God's grace by playing in the snow with everyone else or go and study for the test he had that was now postponed...



Lesson from The Simpsons: We have a choice with God's grace, to respect it or abuse it. Talk about GOOD insight.

Romans 6:1-3

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?


... WOA a lesson from the Simpsons...

DON'T HAVE A HEART ATTACK BECAUSE I AM NOT FINISHED YET!!!!!!!!!!

Makes me wish I had of watched the show before to make up my own mind instead copying somebody elses. Shows that TV is not just mindless entertainment and can teach people something. Unfortunately too many people watch TV and shows like the Simpsons FOR mindless entertainment. Then there is the other end of the spectrum is people who judge as a show with bad messages.


Well, OK, I would not place one of my nieces in front of TV set with the Simpsons on. But that is because it is not designed for young children. Like Family Guy and King of the Hill, the Simpsons really had the Teen and adult audiences in mind. The fact that young kids watch it anyway says that perhaps parents don't get that it is not for younger children or they are too busy to monitor what their children watch. The first part makes sense to me because traditionally cartoons are designed for younger audiences. Although, some that are designed for 8-12 year olds put jokes in that a Teen audience would get but are cleverly designed so that the original target does not. Examples are Sponge Bob Square Pants and Fairly Odd Parents.


The Simpson, however, is for the older audience. Therefore, KIDS SHOULD NOT BE WATCHING IT!!!!!!! However, that does not mean that it should be thrown out the window. A lot of movies are not designed for a young audience but are good movies and are worth watching, like Avatar. I think that The Simpsons fall under that category. Not for kids, but cab carry a good message. You just need to really dig through it and take it a part. I can think of a lot of Bible books that are not for children, such as the Song of Solomon, yet I would not toss the thing out all together.


WARNING: Some of the jokes on the show are potentionally insulting. But that is more to heighten what that particular episode wants to educate about. And if TV pisses you off that easily, perhaps it's you who needs to lighten up instead of always jumping at it and attacking it. Like Homer being a poor excuse for a father--> Well, he is a lot better than a lot of fathers I know. He is loyal, loving, and faithful to his wife and children. True he can be lazy and get drunk some times. However, I find that his positive qualities are what father's (and people in general) should have and not the above negative characteristics. What I see in Homer is a small problem with American families: Faithfulness, love, and loyality with laziness and an intoxicating consumption of alcohol in the same individual. See how one side over powers the other side? And just like on the Simpsons, the negative side is all people see. Makes me glad that Jesus wants to erode that from me!!!!!

Conclusion
I am glad I started watching the Simpsons. It made me realize that I was becoming more of a Ned Flanders (the Christian/Pharisee guy) and not enough of what God wanted me to be. Hence, why I am starting to watch shows like the Simpsons that may have more intelligience than what surrounding people have said about it. However, I will be discussing the Simpsons more as I begin to watch more episodes and soak this show up a little bit more.


Blessings!


*Definition taken from Dictionary.com on May 5, 2009: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/satire

No comments: